Since I've deprecated scenarios, I went through all of my projects and removed any usages of expectations.scenarios. For the most part the conversion was simple; however, I did run into one instance where the scenario contained interleaved expectations.
The following code is an example of a scenario with interleaved expectations.
In the previously linked blog entry I recommend using a clojure assert to replace the interleaved expectations. That solution works, but I found an additional approach that I wanted to share.
When I encountered code similar in structure to the code above, I immediately envisioned writing 3 expectations similar to what you find below.
note: for my contrived example the first two tests could have been written without the let; however, the tests from my codebase could not - and I believe the blog entry is easier to follow if the tests are written in the way above.
While these tests verify the same expectations, the way that they are written doesn't convey to a test maintainer that they relate to each other more than they are related to the other tests within the file. While pondering this complaint, I grouped the tests in the following way more as a joke than anything else.
I would never actually use given simply to group code; however, grouping the code together did cause me to notice that there was a usage of given that would not only keep the code grouped, but it would also allow me to test what I needed with less code.
The following example is very similar in structure to the finished product within my codebase.
The above example verifies everything that the original scenario verified, does not use a scenario, and conveys to a maintainer that related logic is being tested within all three tests - in short: this felt like the right solution.